Saturday, June 5, 2010

Cheaper alternative to converting an ordinary bicycle to an e-bike


There is this e-bike seller called cleanrepublic.com that I discovered lately.

Imagine climbing a steep hill with your bike. Good exercise, indeed! But what if you need to climb but want to save your energy to do something else when you reach the top of the hill? Or perhaps, you just want to have some pedaling assistance, especially, when you are tired already but have not reached the top of the hill yet.

There are a lot of e-bike conversion kits out there. There are several sellers in Norway (1, 2) and Sweden. Complete e-bikes cost between 7,000 to 17,000 Norwegian crowns (about 1,000 to 2,500 USD). A conversion kit (available only from Sweden at the moment) will cost a total of 1,051.55 USD (6,938 Norwegian crowns). I don't want to spend that much and I wanted the most cost efficient alternative. So, I tried the Clean Republic Hill Topper Conversion Kit. Check out their webpages. Their Kit costs only 394 USD at the moment without the postage. That's about 2,600 Norwegian crowns.

I wanted my Kit to arrive in Norway the fastest way possible but not costing too much. So I chose the faster delivery option which is USPS Global Express Guaranteed. This service is said to take 1-3 working days to deliver and costs 262.25 USD.

Clean Republic provides good products and good service. They have a lot of fans and a forum to discuss anything Clean Republic related.

My Kit arrived in Norway from the US in 4 days (May 28 to May 31). The total number of days from the time I ordered the Kit to the time I got it from the post office is 7 days (May 26 to June 3). Here is the complete tracking information in case you want to see the details.

My bike is an MTB with 160mm disc brakes. I heard that the Clean Republic Hill Topper motor hub has 6 holes to allow disc brake rotor attachment. But before I could transfer my 160mm rotor to the Kit I discovered that the motor hub was too thick that the spokes will hit the brake caliper. My Deore M475 caliper protrudes more than 15 mm towards the spokes. I think the motor hub could only allow calipers that protrudes to the spokes less than 10mm. I even tried buying a new 203mm rotor and a slimmer caliper (Avid BB5) of less than 15mm. But still the motor hub is too thick to allow disc brake caliper installation. So I gave up my ambition to have a disc brake e-bike, at least on both wheels. The front wheel will have to use rim brakes.


After settling with changing my front disc brake to rim brakes, I discovered that my Kit needs truing. It must be the transportation stress that the Kit took from its long journey from the US to Norway. Clean Republic may need to improve the packing method so as to keep the Kit wheels true and endure shipping stress.

The current packaging is cost efficient because it did not use the usual Styrofoam cushioning but for people who don't want to true their wheels before using them, perhaps there is another way to keep the rims straight despite the stress expected in a transatlantic journey. This might mean additional packaging costs. Perhaps there should be an option for customers between more expensive packing and the current one which eventually worked for me despite the minor issue with the truing.

I discovered that the motor wheel needs truing when I noticed that it is making this clicking noise and is obviously wobbling. Seems problematic at first but I did not give up that easily.

I have never trued a wheel before but I saw from one vlogger that it isn't that difficult. So, because I really need to have my e-bike going, I boldly went where no amateur bike mechanic has gone before! I bought a cheap truing wrench and trued my bike. The truing wrench looks like this (on the left):

Despite my initial hesitance to true the Kit wheel, I was surprised to find out that truing is actually quite easy. The result was very encouraging. I even tried to perfect the truing to the best possible level. I must say I am very satisfied with the result.

No more clicking noise and it is no longer wobbling. I even kept the rim brake calipers as close as possible to the rim to make the truing perfect. It took me just around 15 minutes to do this task. Whew! After truing my first wheel I felt that I could now apply as a bike mechanic at the nearest bike shop. Hehehe.

By the way, before truing, I removed the tube interior and tires that came in with the Kit and replaced them with the ones I use with my old front wheel. I use a set of Maxxis Larsen TT tires so wanted to keep it with my motor wheel.

Finally, after all the preparation, research and attempt at being a bike mechanic, I had to get my converted e-MTB for a test ride on an actual hill.

The test went well. I was able to climb a steep hill without even pedaling. Of course it went faster when I pedaled. I then tried it with a child carrier attached as a trailer. It also went well without pedaling on a steep hill.

I'm planning to test the farthest uphill distance my new Kit with a fully charged battery (SLA) would be able to take. I will post about this next.

I hope cleanrepublic.com will continue making good products.

NOTE: More posts on e-bike conversion projects are available here

No comments:

Post a Comment